Sree Narayana Mandira Samiti
Sree Narayana Mandira Samiti (SNMS) is the biggest Educational and Charitable Organisation in the name of Sree Narayana Guru outside Kerala State. It was established in 1963 and is engaged in the promotion and propogation of Sree Narayana Guru's teachings and Philosophy (see Guru).
Aims and Objectives of the Samiti are:-
1. To establish, conduct, maintain and manage Educational Institutions for the overall benefit of South Indians in general and Malayalees in particular.
2. To start libraries and reading rooms.
3. To establish students’ homes and public halls.
4. To aid, establish and provide charitable dispensaries, health centers etc.
5. To promote social and cultural activities by providing cultural centers and athletic facilities.
6. To constitute a Core Committee / Body comprising of experts drawn from different disciplines which will function under the overall control of the Board / General Council of the Samiti to ensure professionalism and efficient management of the various educational institutions established/run by it.
7. To promote any other activities for the benefit of the general public in furtherance of the above objectives of the Samiti.
The Samiti has been registered under Societies Registration Act of 1860 (Registration No.BOM/44/1964 dated 8th April 1964) and Bombay Public Trust Act of 1950 (Registration No.F-1185 (BOM) dated 17th July 1964).
The main areas of activity of SNMS are education, vocational training, skill development, entrepreneuship, healthcare, cultural, sports and other humanitarian assistance for the benfit of general public with special focus on the poor and weaker sections of the society. SNMS has its regsitered office at Dadar (Navin Asha,126 Dadasaheb Phalke Road, Dadar (C.Rly), Mumbai 400014) and working headquarters at Chembur (Sree Narayana Nagar, PL Lokhande Marg,Chembur, Mumbai 400089). There 28 regional units covering Mumbai and Thane districts of Maharashtra, including 17 Guru Centers. It also has an international center at Gurudevagiri, Nerul (Navimumbai).
SNMS has about 15000 memebrs and Patrons. Memebership is open to all with out any discrimination. SNMS has been notified by Maharashtra Govt. as a minority institution on the basis of language (Malayalam). It educational complex (schools and colleges) are located at a sprawling comlpex at Chembur and has a student community of about 5000 and employs about 150 teching and non-teching staff. However, the main drive SNMS activities consist of voluntary service from Memebrs, Patrons and well wishers. generous donations from memebrs, corporates and well wishers over the years has helped SNMS to grow and expand its humanitarian activities to a large section of people, especially to make a difference in the living standards of poor people.
Income Tax Exemption
The Samiti has been granted Income-Tax Exemption Certificate under Section 80G of the Indian Income Tax Act, 1961, which entitles the donors to get Income Tax rebate on the donations given to the Samiti.
The various educational institutions functioning under the Management of the Samiti are:
1. Sree Narayana Guru College of Commerce (Aided & Self Finanacing, H.S.C., U.G. & P.G. programmes)
2. Sree Narayana Guru College of Education (B.Ed. & D.Ed.)
3. Sree Narayana Guru High School (English Medium)
4. Sree Narayana Guru High School (Marathi Medium)
5. Sree Narayana Guru Central School (C.B.S.E.)
6. Sree Narayana Guru Primary School (English Medium)
7. Sree Narayana Guru Primary School (Marathi Medium)
8. Sree Narayana Guru Pre-Primary School
9. Kumaran Asan Nursery School
SNMS also has temple complexes at Gurudevagiri (Nerul), Sakinaka and Malad. It has established intrenational center for SNG studies with a well equippped library and research facilities on Philosophy. The inaguration of the International Centre for Sree Narayana Guru Studies was performed by Shri. K.R.Narayanan, former President of India on 12th February 2005.
Samiti received the Holly teeth , the only mortal remains, of Sree Narayana Guru (one wisdom tooth and four artificial teeth used by the Guru) on 11th January 2004. The Holly teeth are kept in a specially constructed temple at Gurudevagiri complex. The Holly teeth of the Guru are kept for darshan of the devotees on Gurudevagiri Teerthadanan day held on 11th February of every year.
SNMS also offers a host of other services to Memebrs and to the general public. These include: Cultural programs, sports facilities, philosophical discourses, seminars, workshops and conferneces on variuos topics of general interest, legal aid programs, alcoholic deaddition programs, health clinics, medical camps, financial aid and scholarships to students, mid-day meal program for schoolchildren, fres school unifoms for poor children, skill development and employment assistance, etc.
SNMS has celebrated its Golden Jubilee as an year long program from February 2013 to April 2014. Several programs are organized during this period to showcase its service activities and toplan for the future development.
SNMS has adopted a Five Year Plan (2018-23) giving shape of its future plans. Important projects are:
1. Modern School and Junior college at the newly acquired Plot at Ulwe (Navi Mumbai)
2. New educational institutions at Tarapur
3. Fully developed CBSE School at Chembur
4. New buildings for educational institutions and SNMS regional offices
5. New college courses, Law college and other technical institutions
6. Maintaining high standards of education and research in schools and colleges
7. Upgrading class room facilities and introducing modern teaching aids